by Matt Mayer

Friday, March 03, 2006

My First Ever Post ... Since Livejournal

Let's start this off by posting about the topic on which I just made a comment on Danny Rouhier's blog and was henceforth required to create this account. (grammar WHAT WHAT?)

To those seeking advice on stand-up comedy, opportunities on a personal or intimate level are few and far between. The best we can do is often reading books or studying tape of the greats. Every now and again, somebody with more experience than you will take you by the set list and walk you through, listen to your stage time and give you notes afterward, make a suggestion or two about what you should do your next chance at 7 minutes on stage, which isn't coming up for another 2 weeks.

Thank you to those who speak up. Thank you to anybody EVER, with or without experience in the field of stand-up comedy, who offers their honest and sincere thoughts, criticisms, and comments on my stand-up comedy. I love it, and baby I want some more of it.

I've been doing this comedy thing on and off for a year, totaling maybe only 6 months of actual time hitting stages and writing. That doesn't mean I can't tell when or why something I saw on stage was or wasn't funny. I've made comments and suggestions; I've helped other comics' writing; I've written my own shit. All of which has been met with both failure and great success.

I will offer my advice to anybody who's willing to listen. Now, that doesn't mean you are going to or should listen to every word I have to say. What it really means is that I love it when somebody will give me the choice of whether or not to listen to their advice. At least it's there for me to decide, and at least it's honest.

So, anybody who has ever offered me help personally or in a blog in terms of stand-up comedy, you all know who you are but just in case you dont I'll list you in a second, shortly after I'm done completing the longest run-on sentence in history short of any Bills past (they're all one sentence for those who don't know politics ... isn't it funny I'm writing something about politics when I know nothing about it ... them? Is it "it" or "them" because it's politics, like plural but it's just one subj..[got shot in the neck with a blowdart]). Thanks.

Danny Rouhier, Rory Scovel, Ryan Conner, Andy LoPresto, Matt Liebman, Demetri Martin, Jon Lovitz, and anybody else I forgot to mention. This Oscar means a lot to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home