by Matt Mayer

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

jersey

I'm a proud resident of the state of New Jersey. I love it there. I was lucky enough to get the chance to go up there this past weekend. I got to see my older sister, my parents, some friends. I didn't have to get out of my car to fill up my tank. I didn't have to roll my windows down if I didn't want to, but if I did, I could've smelled the sweet aroma of industry around exit 13A on the turnpike.

The thing I enjoyed most about New Jersey is just the sense of home for me. Of course, it is my home, and this would most likely be true about any other state if I had been raised there. However, the truth is that my home is in New Jersey, and is not in some other state. But it FEELS like home too. The big malls, jerk drivers on the road, late-night dining with friends when you're not hungry and have no money, the valet parking everywhere you go, the random Ferrari passing the vagrant Pinto in the shoulder on the highway, the fine dining establishments found even in a crappy and run-down mini-mall shopping center. In my heart and my head, these things are irreplacable.

Not often can you go home to your friend's house (whose dad is a multi-millionaire) and have him be at a serious low that night because he spent the night before in the woods of a New York state park on mushrooms and then left the park for a local strip club where he got free VIP treatment including lap dances (yes on 'shrooms) and came home with one of the stippers who happened to be tattoo'd from head to toe and then have him decide he can't go to the diner to chill out tonight (Saturday) because he's got a long work week in the city starting on Monday.

Okay, so I embellished a little bit. But it's true that you can't have that happen often.

Hopefully I get back to posting interesting things soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home